Access to the path 'psexesvc.exe' is denied

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Trying to get this thing working here. I keep getting an UnauthorizedAccessException when CleanupPsExec is executed. What could be the cause? (I see very little about this on the net.)
I installed PSTools/TeamDeploy on our build-machine (where TFSSERVICE runs). I modified your sample XML, and get this error:

"C:\Documents and Settings\builder\Local Settings\Temp\MyProduct\MyProduct Main (Win32 Release)\BuildType\TFSBuild.proj" (EndToEndIteration target) (1) ->
       (DeployMSITargetVirtuals target) ->
         C:\Documents and Settings\builder\Local Settings\Temp\MyProduct\MyProduct Main (Win32 Release)\BuildType\TFSBuild.proj(237,5): error : Error executing CleanupPsExec: TargetMachine=TestMachineXP KillPathFilename=c:\Program Files\PSTools\pskill2.exe:::System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '\\TestMachineXP\admin$\psexesvc.exe' is denied.
       C:\Documents and Settings\builder\Local Settings\Temp\MyProduct\MyProduct Main (Win32 Release)\BuildType\TFSBuild.proj(237,5): error :    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       C:\Documents and Settings\builder\Local Settings\Temp\MyProduct\MyProduct Main (Win32 Release)\BuildType\TFSBuild.proj(237,5): error :    at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
       C:\Documents and Settings\builder\Local Settings\Temp\MyProduct\MyProduct Main (Win32 Release)\BuildType\TFSBuild.proj(237,5): error :    at TeamDeploy.Tasks.CleanupPsExec.Execute()

Any ideas? Thanks.

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Hi,

Have you tried logging in to the build server with TFSSERVICE account and see if you can access the the \\TestMachineXP\admin$ share?  I have seen that the hidden admin shares are sometimes disabled. (You can also check the share on the target machine by going to Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares)  Also did you make the TFSSERVICE account a local admin on the TestMachineXP machine?

I hope that helps,

Mike

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Thanks.

It turned out I was using another account than TFSSERVICE. Now it works!