MSIPathFile

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Hello, I have need to pass in a variable which would be the path to the MSI's that I want to deploy.  All the examples that I have seen so far are referencing a static share which works well.  But, from a build and deploy perspective you would ideally want the path to the msi's to be deployed to map to the output directory of any given build which will change from build to build.  For example, if I had a build definition named Main - Release and my build numbering schema was yyyymmdd.buildnumber the the first build for Saturday, February 5th 2011 would result in a directory being created on the build server share of \\buildservername\Build_Staging\Main - Release_20110205.1 which is where the .msi's would reside that I would want to deploy.  So, I would need to pass in this value as the <MSIPathFile> to Team Deploy.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tim

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Tim,

One way I have handled this for other projects is that I copy the MSI from the build definition folder to a temp location.  Then the deploy script can be a static temp folder.   I still think it would be good to have some sort of variable capability in the script.  I was thinking of having a property on the deploy task called: DeployVariables and then it will essentially do a search and replace in the script for any variable names with something like %'s around it.  So you could have %MSIPath% in the deploy script MSI.  Passing it in the Deploy task as DeployVariables="MSIPath: \\buildservername\Build_Staging\Main - Release_20110205.1".

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:25 AM
Thanks again Mike. Yes, copying the msi's to a temp folder and then having a static temp folder will work. I do like the idea you have of having a property to tokenize the MSIPath.

Thanks again for all of your efforts!

Tim

To: [email removed]
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 20:11:59 -0800
Subject: Re: MSIPathFile [teamdeploy:244807]

Tim,
One way I have handled this for other projects is that I copy the MSI from the build definition folder to a temp location. Then the deploy script can be a static temp folder. I still think it would be good to have some sort of variable capability in the script. I was thinking of having a property on the deploy task called: DeployVariables and then it will essentially do a search and replace in the script for any variable names with something like %'s around it. So you could have %MSIPath% in the deploy script MSI. Passing it in the Deploy task as DeployVariables="MSIPath: \\buildservername\Build_Staging\Main - Release_20110205.1".
Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Mike
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (teamdeploy@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email teamdeploy@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com