Deploy Script Documentation

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Hi.

I'm looking for some documentation on what can be placed inside an XML build script. I'm installing Team Deploy on TFS2010 and am struggling to configure the deploy process for our environment.

We don't use MSIs for deployment at present, but I want to use the RemoteExecute action to run scripts on the target machine.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:00 AM

Have you had any luck with this yet I am trying to the exact same thing... if you have anything or examples I would appreciate them.

Gary

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Hi Gary,

I never succeeded in using the XML build configurations but ended up using Team Deploy's RemoteExecute to fire a powershell script on the deployment machines which performs my deployment process.

If you download the source for Team Deploy you'll find how it uses PsExec so if you familiarise yourself with PsExec's options then you should be able to make it do what you want. I certainly ended up altering the PsExec command line options used.

You may also want to look into PowerShell Remoting or TFS Deployer for other ways to achieve the same thing, but this is working for me.

Andrew

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2011 at 4:55 AM

Hi guys,

I just uploaded the some documentation of the activities, properties, and xml details.  There is also an example of the XML at the end.  Please let me know if you want to see any additional information?  For a sample of calling RemoteExecute, you can do this.  I recently added the OverridePSExecArgs to specify any PSExec arguments desired.

<Target Name="ExecuteCalc">

<RemoteExecute 
           TargetMachine="MyServer"
           RemoteCommand="calc.exe"
           RemoteExecutePathFilename="c:\pstools\psexec.exe"
           TeamFoundationServerUrl="$(TeamFoundationServerUrl)"
           BuildUri="$(BuildUri)"
           OverridePSExecArgs="-e -u domain\user -p abc"
           />

</Target>

I hope this helps,

Mike